Join us on sample date
The safety of our cyclists is the number one priority for Tour de Summer Camps! There will be a great mix of riders with different experience and skill levels on the road together. To help ensure that everyone has a great ride and arrives safely at the finish line, we are working together to create a proactive approach to safety, both on the road and while you train.
The following is a list of safety guidelines and rules of the road. All participants must understand and adhere to these guidelines for the event.
- Bicycles are vehicles under the California Vehicle Code and you are subject to all the rules and regulations of that code. Obey all traffic laws, traffic signals and signs. Ride as far to the right as is safely possible.
- Ride defensively, predictably and stay alert. Assume car drivers cannot see you.
- Stop at all stop signs and stop lights without exception.
- You should come to a full stop and cease all forward motion completely.
- Wear your helmet at all times when on your bicycle and during the entire event, including when at Rest Stops.
- Ride single file and leave at least one bike length between you and the rider in front of you.
- Communicate your intentions. Use hand signals to indicate right turn, left turn, stopping or slowing.
- Alert others to potential hazards by pointing and using verbal alerts.
- Look behind you before passing to make sure it is clear.
- Pass only when it is safe to do so and pass only on the left. When passing, call out loudly, "On your left!"
- Never wear headphones or earbuds while on your bike.
- Eat before you feel hungry and drink before you feel thirsty.
- Be courteous and respectful to others.